Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Angels and Miracles

Do you believe in miracles? It was over ten years ago when a stranger approached me in a store and asked me that very question. He came to me during a very difficult time in my life, when my father was battling multiple sclerosis. It is never easy watching someone you love die. I had given up all hope and faith. Meeting the man changed my life forever, and the experience ultimately led me to write my latest book. 

Illness can change a family. It is not only about the one who is ill, but it is also about the caretakers, those we love who are often pushed to their limits; those whose hearts are broken. It is a selfless act of kindness to care for another human being, to take on their suffering and to hold it all in. I've been there. I've watched it in my own family. So when all hope is gone, how would you react if someone said to you, "Do you believe in Miracles?" 

Miracles do happen. I know this because I've had one happen to me. It occurred within hours of my father's passing seven years ago. As much as I would like to reveal what that miracle was, I cannot do so because I would spoil the ending of my debut novel The Medal, a work of inspirational fiction, that is loosely based on a true story...mine and my family's. 

The point is, that sometimes the miracles we are hoping for or praying for, just aren't supposed to happen. Sometimes people are cured of illnesses, and sometimes they are not. The one thing I learned though, was that other miracles can come out of hardships. It might not be until years later when you realize or understand the deeper meaning as to why things have happened in your life. 

Why do bad things happen to good people? Why did those children in Connecticut have to die? I cannot answer those questions. I don't think anyone can. Where were the miracles then? For us, the miracle we would have wanted to have happened, would have been for all those children to have somehow survived the ordeal. For reasons we cannot understand, that did not happen. Back here on Long Island though, little miracles are taking place because of it. Miracles we may not even think are miracles. Are we not hugging our children more? Are we now saying I love you to a spouse before they leave the house? Are we not finally seeing the true meaning of the season? Why does it take something bad to happen, to make us realize what's important? Miracles take place every day, even if they're just in our own hearts.  

As for angels, they exist too. Sometimes they may come in the most unlikely of forms, but they're there for a purpose. They're there when we least expect it. They're there to guide us, to console us, to lend a helping hand. Look at all the angels who came out to help the victims of Hurricane Sandy. Angels are among us, whether they be in earthly form or as celestial beings. There were angels with the children last week...those first responders who arrived at the scene, and those unseen who led them up to Heaven.

Whatever you may believe, miracles and angels are available to all of us, regardless of who we are or what religion we may be. During this season of miracles, let's try to find the good amongst all the bad in the world, and maybe we can make a difference in someone's life. 

Believe in angels for they are the messengers of miracles.  

I wish each of you a happy and healthy holiday season, and a very Merry Christmas. 

For more information on miracles, including my own miracle, check out my videos on my website www.padrepiomedal.com.

 

 

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing this - needed to be reminded of this at this point in my life - it's a wonderful message!!!

    ReplyDelete